Pacific Biosciences (PacBio): Sequencing with the PacBio RS II system based on single molecule, real-time (SMRT) technology offers abundant benefits, especially:
- Extraordinarily long reads: Produce reads with average lengths of 3,000 to 5,000 bp, with the longest reads over 20,000 base pairs.
- Extremely high accuracy: Perform de novo assembly of genomes and detect variants with greater than 99.999% accuracy. Sequence individual molecules with 99% accuracy at greater than Sanger lengths.
- Exquisite sensitivity: Detect minor variants that are present at a frequency less than 0.1%.
For research in epigenetics and methylation, the PacBio RS II is the only commercially available system that can:
- Discover a broad spectrum of DNA base modifications: Go beyond 5-methylcytosine and detect N6-methyladenine, N4-methylcytosine, DNA oxidative damage and other modified bases in the same sequencing run that reads the canonical base sequence.
Additionally, the PacBio RS II offers:
- Shortest run time: Sequence for as little as 30 minutes and still get reads longer than Sanger sequencing.
- Least GC bias: Sequence through regions of extremely high or low GC content with ease, resulting in more even coverage.
- No amplification bias: Samples need not be amplified, improving coverage uniformity and avoiding artifacts.