NCGR is seeking a Research Assistant to work in our Next Generation Sequencing laboratory. We are equipped with PacBio and Illumina sequencing devices, supported by a variety of instrumentation, including Agilent BioAnalyzer, Thermo Scientific Nanodrop, BioRad qPCR, Sage Sciences Blue Pippin and Pippin Pulse, Diagenode Megaruptor, Caliper SciClone NGS Robotics, plus the usual range of analytical equipment found in molecular biology labs. You will become the third member of the Sequencing Center staff, which is responsible for providing sequencing services and support of the highest quality to NCGR researchers, to outside collaborators, and to ad hoc customers.
- Data entry
- Tracking samples, libraries and runs in the NCGR LIMS
- DNA and RNA QC (Qubit, Nanodrop)
- High molecular weight DNA shearing, QC and size selection
- Keeping electronic notebook records
- Sequencing sample (library) preparation
- Library QC (bioanalyzer, pulsed field gel electrophoresis)
- Operating, preventive maintenance and troubleshooting sequencing instruments
- Communication with instrument vendors and customers
- Data delivery to clients
Skills and Requirements:
Training will be provided in NGS technologies if required. However, candidates having experience operating our sequencing platforms will be given priority. Absolutely essential is a strong training and significant experience in molecular biology, exemplary skills and a high comfort level handling irreplaceable RNA and DNA samples, caution balanced with confidence while approaching unfamiliar protocols, great attention to detail and the ability to grow into a team member upon which the whole organization can depend. The sequencing lab and our bioinformatics group interact closely. Accordingly, the desired candidate will be able to quickly learn basic unix/linux commands and how we use these systems to deliver data to clients. Prior knowledge of unix/linux is a plus. A master's degree is desired, but a bachelor's degree with additional experience may act as a substitute.